The amount that a small business pays to fund the cost of apprenticeship training has been reduced from 10% to 5% with effect from 1 April 2019. The measure follows the announcement by the Chancellor in last year’s Autumn Budget in a bid to encourage small businesses to offer more apprenticeship schemes with reduced costs to the business.
This comes as welcome news for North-West based small-to-medium sized businesses who now only need to pay 5% towards the cost of upskilling their workforce or training an apprentice, whilst the government fund the remaining 95%. It would mean, for example, that an apprenticeship that costs £12,000 would now cost the employer £600 – the government would then cover the remaining £11,400.
The reduction of apprenticeship training costs footed by small firms from 10 percent to 5 percent was also coupled with the announcement that levy-paying employers (those with a wage bill of more than £3m) can now transfer 25 per cent of their levy pot of any unused funds to smaller organisations within their supply chain.
Lee Morris, Managing Director of NTG Training commented: “By halving the amount that small businesses have to contribute towards apprenticeship training enables SMEs to use this as an opportunity to fill any skills gap and develop their workforce through flexible apprenticeship training. It shows that the government is taking steps to reinforce apprenticeships as a cost effective and productive way to upskill existing staff and make apprenticeships more affordable for smaller businesses.”
If you would like to find out more about apprenticeship training for your business, please contact NTG Training.
"By halving the amount that small businesses have to contribute towards apprenticeship training enables SMEs to use this as an opportunity to fill any skills gap and develop their workforce"
DISCLAIMER: The statements, opinions, views and advice expressed in this article are those of the author/organisation and not of ENTIRELY. This article should represent information correct at the time of publication however whilst every care has been taken to present up-to-date and accurate information, we cannot guarantee that inaccuracies will not occur. ENTIRELY will not be held responsible for any claim, loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of any information within this article or any information accessed through this site. The content of any organisations websites which you link to from ENTIRELY are entirely out of the control of ENTIRELY, and you proceed at your own risk. These links are provided purely for your convenience and do not imply any endorsement of or association with any products, services, content, information or materials offered by or accessible to you at the organisations site.